Friday 14 June 2024

Penny Hackett-Evans: My Name Is Penny

and I am going to die.
Not today or this year.
(though one never knows)
But, I want to shake hands with death,
share a cup of tea with her.
I want to remember
she is always in the room,
and I want her to feel welcome.
I am not in a race with her.
She is not my enemy.
I’d like to comb her hair,
learn what kind of books she reads.
I’d like to know the music she prefers.
I want to ask her
what she fears and confess
my secret fear of her.
I want to listen
to her wisdom and to know
her real name.
My name is Penny
and I am going to die.


When he was poet laureate, Billy Collins said that everyone should write a poem every day. Penny Hackett-Evans took him at his word and has been at that task for several years now.  She writes to find out who she is. She's still searching. www.pennyhackettevans.com