Thursday 18 April 2024

Laura Daniels: Shades of Pink

What to hold?                                     What to free?
unusual questions                                this routine Wednesday

I want to hold                                      I want to hold
warm dryness                                      quiet rocks

I want to hold air                                 I want to hold it all
through cold breath                             and desire it now

I want shades of pink                          I want flowing scarves
when grey abounds                             when breezes billow

I want words to flow                           I want the last bite
when prompted                                   to be as good as the first

I want the first sip                               the alcoholic swallow
to quench my thirst                             that’s never quenchable

The glass shapes                                 The glamorous sensation
the day’s hour                                     the sophisticated moment

An addictive thirst                              An unhealthy thirst
a troubling thirst                                 a sickening thirst

A diseased thirst                                  unable to terminate

May the craving cease                        May the vessel fill                                                      
to hold                                                 the thirst


Laura Daniels (she/her) is a multi-genre writer and founder of the Facebook blog The Fringe 999. Curated in NJ Bards Anthology, Silver Birch Press, Lothlorien Poetry Journal, and elsewhere. She resides with her partner in Mt Arlington, NJ, where she crafts colourful musings. Follow her at: https://lauradanielswriter.wordpress.com