Friday, 25 September 2026

Trevor Patterson: Fair City

In the poets’ fair
city an old ha’penny
carries me over

to the Southside. I
cross, stroll with the memory
hunters, among folk

and languages not
from here, with camera and open-
mouthed purpose, tourists,

Trinity Old Library,
fulsome, bronzed Molly, local
cupping her exposed

breast.  I pass someone
shouting at us to repent
through a speaker, with

her watching man friend.
I want to repent, like others,
sheepishly walking

no thought to stop with
the sleeping man, head rests in
the gutter. Could have

been a corpse. Are we now
immune to the lost souls in
our streets, to begging

bowls from takeaway
cups?  Am I now in the poets’
unfair city?


Trevor Patterson lives in Helen’s Bay, Co. Down and is a fresh emerging voice in poetry terms.  His poetry currently explores his surroundings, identity and belonging, and he is experimenting with a range of style and form, from traditional, modern and free verse.